What now? The Brexit Referendum and the Future of the European Idea
Berlin, 30 Nov – 1 Dec 2016 | Extended Application Deadline: 30 September 2016
News vom 23.08.2016
In cooperation with the United Nations and European Union Documentation Center at FU Berlin
For students and refugees under the Welcome@FUBERLIN-Programme
On 23 June 2016, the EU-Referendum in the United Kingdom turned out in favour of leaving the European Union: 17.4 million or 52% voted for leaving, versus 16.1 million or 48% wanting to remain in the EU. The unprecedented outcome has led to many questions about the consequences of the Brexit, the so-called Divorce-Process according to Article 50 of the Treaty on the European Union and last but not least the Future of the European Idea. We invite you to represent one of the Member States of the European Union, the President of the European Commission or the High Re-presentative and take part in a meeting of the European Council to deal with these and other questions relating to the Brexit. We especially invite European students to represent their home countries since we envision this meeting to be much more than "just" a simulation.
Students from all faculties may apply for participation. For your preparation, we will provide for a comprehensive Background Guide with information on the European Union as well as negotiation techniques and the Rules of Procedure. There will be three mandatory preparatory meetings on 21 October (14-16h), 4 November (16-19h) and 25 November 2016 (14-16h), where the Delegations will meet and participants are introduced to the topic, research methods and the Rules of Procedure. Participants are asked to prepare Position Papers concerning their Delegations’ positions in the conference. Please note that conference language will be English.
It will be possible to get credits (5 ECTS-credits) for the seminar (Schlüsselqualifikations-schein, FB Rechtswissenschaft). Conference Fee: € 10,- (for preparation and conference material, catering during the conference).
Members of the European Council: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom; as well as the President of the European Commission and the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.
Applications are to be sent until 30 September 2016 to Peggy Wittke (via email only).
Your application should include:
- Personal Details (Short CV, Name, Address, Phone, Email, Matrikel number)
- Field of studies and number of semesters
- 3 preferences (EU-Members, EC-President or High Representative)
- Short letter of motivation
For further information please contact Peggy Wittke:
Faculty of Law, FU Berlin
Tel.: (030) 838 547 05