Dr. Valeria Vegh Weis LL.M.
Criminal Law & Criminology
Alexander von Humboldt Scholarhsip holder
Born 1985 in Buenos Aires
|University of Konstanz, Germany|
|Since 2021||5-Year Zukunftskolleg Research Fellow, Research foci: “Mixed Methods Analysis on Resistance to State Crime”|
|Freie Universität Berlin, Germany|
|Since 2019||Habilitation on the topic: "Role of victims on state crime criminology and transitional justice (Germany, Argentina and Kenya)" (Alexander-von-Humboldt-Fellowship)|
|Max-Planck-Institute for European Legal History, Frankfurt a.M., Germany|
|2019-2021||Research Associate on the topic: Transnational criminal law in transatlantic perspective|
|2018||Post-Doc on the topic: "Global governance and criminal selectivity"|
|New York University, School of Law, USA|
|2016-2017||Research Fellow on the topic: "Transitional Justice in Kenya", mentored by Philip Alston (Transitional Justice Fellowship)|
|2015||Research Fellow on the topic: "Transitional Justice and Victims", mentored by Pablo de Greiff (International Law and Human Rights Fellowship)|
|2015-2016||LL.M. International Legal Studies (Fulbright Scholar and Global Hauser Scholar)|
|Buenos Aires University, Argentina|
|2010-2015||Ph.D. in Law (PROFITE Fellow and CONICET Fellow)|
|2010-2012||Post-Graduate Degree in University Teaching|
|2009-2013||LL.M. in Criminal Law|
|2003-2008||Graduate Degree in Law|
- Critical Criminologist of the Year, USA, Award by the Division of Critical Criminology of the American Society of Criminology, 2021
- ProFiL Programme Fellow, Germany, Network activities for female researchers, seminars on higher education management and third-party funding, 2021
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences Outstanding Book Award, USA for Monograph “Marxism and Criminology. A History of Criminal Selectivity”, 2019
- Criminal Public Defender (Public Servant), Argentina, 2012-present
- Associate Personnel of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, USA, 2018-2019
- Research Fellow for the International Center for Transitional Justice, Kenya 2016
- Legal Adviser for the National Mental Health Agency, Argentina, 2011-2012
- Clerk for Criminal Courts, Argentina Feb. 2005-2010
- Vicepresident of Instituto Latinoamericano de Criminología y Desarrollo Social
- International State Crime Initiative
- European Society of Criminology Working Group on Atrocity Crimes and Transitional Justice
- European Society of Criminology Working Group on Historical Criminology
- Network of Female Professors of Buenos Aires University Law School
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Critical Policing Network
- European Society of Criminology
- American Society of Criminology
- Marxism Specialist Group, UK
- Argentinean Network of Families, Users, and Volunteers for Mental Health Reform
- Association of Psychiatrists and Adherents for Human Rights
- Buenos Aires BAR Association
- Editorial Board of the book series Historical Criminology, Emerald, UK
- Editorial Advisory Board, Studies in Marxism. Political Studies Association, UK
- Editorial Advisory Board, Revista de Derecho Penal y Criminología, Argentina
- Universidad Nacional de Entre Ríos and Indian Law Socitey (ILS), post-graduate studies in mental health, legislation and human rights, Argentina and India (online): Mental Health Law from a Human Rights Perspective, 2019- present
- Quilmes National University, Master in Criminology, Argentina: Criminology, Mar. 2013 - present (online)
- Buenos Aires University, School of Law, Argentina: Transitional Justice, Aug. 2021 (online), Criminology, Mar. 2012– present (on leave)
- Bolonia University, post-graduate courses in Latinamerica, Argentina: Constitutional law and Transitional Justice, 2019
- Buenos Aires University, Medicine Law, post-graduate programme on basic transdisciplinary bioetic and legal tools in mental health, Argentina: Co-director, 2017-2018 (online)
- Buenos Aires, School of Law, Master in Criminal Law, Argentina: Transitional Justice, 2017, History of Criminal Selectivity, 2017
- University of the center of the Buenos Aires Province, School of Law, Master in Criminal Law, Argentina: Transitional Justice, 2017
- Strathmore University, School of Law, Center of Gender and Transitional Justice, Kenya: Researcher under the supervision of the ITFY Prosecutor S. Brammertz at the first multi-racial education institution in East Africa, Jan. 2017 – Aug. 2017.
- University Institute of Argentinean Federal Police, Argentina, Criminology, Mar. 2012 – Aug. 2015
Main research interests:
- Transitional Justice
- International Law
- Critical Criminology
- State Crime Criminology
- Southern Criminology
- Green Criminology
- Marxism and Criminology
- Criminal Justice
- Coodinator of the research group on Transnational Criminal Regimes (with K. Härter) 2019-2021, Max-Planck-Institute for European Legal History
- Member of COST Action Proposal. “Atrocity Justice Constellations - JUSTICE360: Mapping the impacts of international criminal justice (non)interventions”, 2020-2021
- Member of COST Action Proposal. “Cultures Of Victimology: understanding processes of victimization across Europe” (COV-E) CA18121, , 2020-2021
- Member of CLACSO Working Group Memorias y Resistencias, Latin-America, Feb. 2020- Feb. 2023
Complete list of publications as pdf
Latest Publications (Published 2020-2021)
Books in English
- (with J. Lea) Historical experiences on criminalization of activism, London: Routledge, 2021.
- Marxism and criminology. A history of criminal selectivity. Boston: Brill (2017). ISBN 978-9004319561. Republished in paperback. Chicago: Haymarket Books (2018) ISBN 9781608469307 - awarded with the Outstanding Book Award 2019, by the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, USA and the Outstanding Academic Title Choice Award 2017, by the American Library Association, USA
Books in Spanish
- Marxismo y criminología.Una Historia de la selectividad penal, Buenos Aires: Ediar (forthcoming 2021)
- (with R. Zaffaroni and C. Caamaño) Manual para destruir al Derecho Penal. Bievenidos al lawfare, Buenos Aires: Capital Intelectural, 2020
Recent publications (English)
- (with Ruti Teitel) “Transitional Justice and Human Rights.” History of Latin American Law in Global Perspective, edited by Thomas Duve and Tamar Herzog(forthcoming September 2022).
- (with Karl Härter) “Introduction.” SSRN mpilhlt Research Paper Series (forthcoming November 2021).
- “Critical Criminology.” Encyclopedia of Race, Crime, and Justice: An Encyclopedia of the American Mosai, edited by Delores Jones-Brown and Christine Barrow, Greenwood (forthcoming 2021).
- “Argentine Truth Commission.” Romero: Memory Papers, edited by in Stephan Parmentier, Leuven University Press (forthcoming December 2021).
- “Critical Criminologist Spotlight”, DCCSJ Newsletter, Dec. 2021
- “Operationalizing Injustice. Criminal Selectivity as a Tool for Understanding (and Changing) Criminalization in Argentina”, Criminological Encounters, v. 4, n.1, 2021, pp. 13-30
- “¿Qué es la Selectividad Penal?” Revista Brasileira de Ciências Criminais, v. 182., y. 29., 2021, pp. 293-315
- “Special Issue Critical Criminology for the 21st Century.” Howard Journal of Crime and Justice, Special Issue Critical Criminology Today, v. 60, n. 3, 2021, pp. 281-455
- (with Britany Magnin) “Essential Crimes? Essential Punishments? Rethinking Essentiality in the Midst of the COVID‑19 Pandemic.” Critical Criminology, vol. 29, 2021, pp. 273-288.
- (with David O Friedrichs) “Covid-19 and the U.S. Health Care Industry. Towards a ‘Critical Health Criminology’ within State Crime Studies.” State Crime Journal, 2021, v. 10, n. 1, pp. 126-146.
- “It is time. Towards a Southern Convict Criminology.” The Future of Convict Criminology, edited by Jeff Ian Ross and Francesca Vianello, Routledge, 2020, pp. 112-126.
- “Building upon Ruti Teitel’s Seminal Work–Towards a Transitional Justice Narrative.” Opinio Juris Symposium – 20th Anniversary of Ruti Teitel's Transitional Justice, 2020.
- (with Julieta Sosa) “Contesting the Collateral Damage of Imprisonment from Below.” Contesting Carceral Logic: Towards Abolitionist Futures, edited by Michale Coyle and Mechthild Nagel, Routledge, 2020, pp. 184-198.
- (with Rob White) “Environmental Victims and Climate Change Activists.” Victimology: Research, Policy and Activism, edited by Jacki Tapley and Pamela Davies, Palgrave, 2020, pp. 301-319.
- (with Rob White) “A Marxist Perspective on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.” Emerald Handbook of Crime, Justice and Sustainable Development, edited by in Jarret Blaustein et al., Emerald, 2020, pp. 63-83.
- (with Salo de Carvalho and David Goyes) “Politics and Indigenous Victimization: The Case of Brazil.” British Journal of Criminology, 2020, vol. 61, pp. 251-271.
- “The Effects of Seeking Justice on Behalf of the Victims. A Critical Analysis of Criminal Trials in the Kenyan Transitional Justice Process.” The Effects of Criminal Trials, edited by Ulrike Capdepón and Rosario Figari Layús, Leuven University Press, 2020.
- (with Lucía Montenegro) “The Green Wave! Resistance in Festivals as Part of the Female Empowerment Process in Argentina.” Gendered Violence at International Festivals, edited by Louise Platt and Rebecca Finkel, Routledge, 2020, 133-146.
- “Policing in Times of Global Governace. The Counter-Terrorism Law as a Platform for the Suppression of Native-Argentine’ Social Protest by the Gendarmerie.” New Perspectives in Post-Transitional Policing Studies, edited by Veronika Nagy and Klára Kerezsi, Eleven, 2020, pp. 245-272.
Recent publications (Spanish)
- “Criminologías y Géneros. Por una Reforma Judicial Feminista y Antipunitivista.” Reforma Judicial Feminista, edited by Red de Profesoras de Derecho de la Universidad de Buenos Aires, Editores del Sur, 2021.
- (with Mariana Katz) “Criminología Verde y Daño Social.” Desafíos Criminologicos en America Latina, edited by Santiago Zurzolo Suarez and Valeria Thus, Ediar (forthcoming 2021).
- “El lawfare como golpe por goteo. Un análisis desde la criminología crítica sobre democracia, sistema penal y medios en Latinoamérica.” Pensamiento Penal, Sep. 22 2021
- Valeria Vegh Weis (with Chris Cunneen) “¿Una CONADEP Indígena? Un Estudio sobre las Comisiones de la Verdad Indígenas en Australia y Canadá para Explorar Posibles Caminos en Argentina.” Estudios sobre Genocidio (forthcoming 2021).
- (with Julieta Sosa) “Combatiendo el Estigma Post-Carcelario desde Abajo.” Libro UBANEX edited by Alejandro Alagia, Ediar (forthcoming 2021).
- “Justicia Transicional y Derechos de los Pueblos.” Derechos Humanos y Derechos Económicos Sociales y Culturales, edited by María José Lubertino, Eudeba (forthcoming 2021).
- “Lecciones de la Experiencia Argentina para la Construcción de una Narrativa Transicional en Colombia.” La Verdad al Encuentro de la Paz: Problemas, Críticas y Oportunidades, edited by Michael Reed and Camilo Umaña, Universidad Externado de Colombia, 2020, pp. 1-39
Recent publications (Portuguese)
- (with Mariana Katz) “El Povo Organizado. El Caso Andalgalá.” Introdução à Criminologia Verde, edited by in Marilia Budó (forthcoming 2021).
- ¿Qué es la selectividad penal?, Revista Brasileira de Ciências Criminais. v. 182. y 29. p. 293-315