Legal areas of expertise:
- § Mergers & Acquisitions
- § Litigation & Arbitration
Industrial areas of expertise:
- § Car & automotive industry
- § Pharma
Georgaphical areas of expertise:
- § Germany;
- § Austria;
- § Switzerland
Since his graduation from the law school (1996), Mr Rachkov has collected substantial experience in advising foreign and Russian companies, including banks, and state authorities on M&A transactions (acquisition and alienation of shares in companies and assets both in Russia and abroad) and in dispute resolution (both before state courts in Russia, Germany and England and ad hoc and institutional domestic and international arbitration tribunals).
He is a member of the Association of Independent Directors and the Legal Committee of the Russian-German Chamber of Commerce. Ilia teaches international economic law (including international trade law, international investment law and international finance law) at MGIMO – Moscow State Institute of International Relations in Moscow.
- 1991-1996: law studies at theLomonossovMoscowState University(Russia) and at the universities ofRegensburg(Germany) andNijmegen (The Netherlands).
- 1995, 1997: International private law and international public law seminars at The Hague Academy of International Law
- 1996-1997: Postgraduate studies (LL.M.) at the law faculty of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe University, Frankfurt/Main (Germany).
- 1996-1999: Postgraduate studies (doctorate) at theInstitute ofStateand Law of theRussianAcademyof Sciences. PhD thesis defended in January 2000.
- July 2001: International law seminar under the auspices of the UN International Law Commission (Geneva,Switzerland).
- 1998, 1999, 2002: Comparative law studies of the 1st and 2nd cycles and of the superior degree at the International Faculty of Comparative Law (Strasbourg andGraz).
- Graduated in 1996
- August 1995 – May 1996: counsel at All-Russian Foreign Currency Exchange Bank (Russian acronym: VBB)
- From June 1996, Mr. Rachkov was working at international law firms in Frankfurt/Main and Moscow:
- June 1996 – June 2000: Pünder, Volhard, Weber & Axster (since January 2000: Clifford Chance Pünder CIS Ltd.);
- July 2000 – April 2004: Bruckhaus Westrick Heller Löber (since August 2000: Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer);
- May 2004 – February 2006: Vinson & Elkins;
- March 2006 – June 2012: Nörr Stiefenhofer Lutz (since January 2010: Noerr), associated partner since 2007, partner since 2009;
- July 2012 – January 2013: self-employed.
- February 2013 – now: King & Spalding, Moscow office, partner.
Numerous articles in Russian, English and German. The most recent are:
- Environmental law as an instrument of a “creeping expropriation”: compensable and non-compensable takings // in: Alexander Trunk & Azar Aliyev (ed.), “The Relationship between Foreign Investment Law and Environmental Law”, 2011, ISBN 978-3-86991-275-2
- The Public Competition Enforcement Review (ed.: Shaun Goodman) – Law Business Research – Third Edition – Russia (co-author: Tatiana Galakhova). ISBN 978-1-907606-16-8
- Crisis and Response: the Cases of Russia, Ukraine and Turkey (co-author Kevin Mason - Nörr Stiefenhofer Lutz, Kiev and Erdem Egemen - Pekin & Pekin, Istanbul (responsible for Turkey) Corporate UK/INT magazine, March 2009
- Олимпийское строительство Сочи – 2014: некоторые правовые аспекты [Olympic construction inSochi– 2014: legal aspects], (co-author: Anna Sorokina) in Wegweiser 2008, Special Edition: Sotschi 2014
- § Changes of the Russian law on concessions (co-author Ekaterina Kalinina), in WiRO № 5/2009
- Environment 2009, Part ‘Russia’, in: Law Business Research Ltd., Series Getting the Deal Through (co-authors: Tatiana Kazankova, Viktoria Tkatschenko)
- Vertical Agreements 2009, Part ‘Russia’ (co-author: Tatiana Kazankova), in: Law Business Research Ltd., Series Getting the Deal Through
- Cartel Regulation 2010, Part ‘Russia’, in: Law Business Research Ltd., Series Getting the Deal Through (co-author: Evgeny Maslennikov)
- Project Finance 2010, Part ‘Russia’, in: Law Business Research Ltd., Series Getting the Deal Through (co-authors: Elena Frolovskaya, Stefan Weber)
- Процедура получения государственной поддержки за счет средств Инвестиционного фонда РФ [Procedure of Getting State Aid from the Investment Fund of the Russian Federation] (co-author: Anna Sorokina) // "Корпоративный юрист", № 4, 2008
- Белые пятна закона о концессии [Blank Spots in the Concession Law] (co-author: Anna Sorokina) // "Закон", № 4, 2007
- M&A Guide for Russian Oil and Gas Industry (together with Asset Capital Partners), September 2006
- Gaswirtschaft in Russland – Rechtliche Rahmenbedingungen (co-author: Tatiana Pashchenko) // "Wirtschaft und Recht in Osteuropa", № 6, 2006
- Ответственность государств за деяния международных организаций [Responsibilty of States for Acts of International Organisations], in: Forging a Common Destiny: Liber Amicorum in honour of William E. Butler. London, Wildy, Simmonds & Hill Publishers, 2005, p. 665 – 685.